Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 2 - Construction

I had a really hard time sleeping last night. I was on a top bunk, I was hot, and just couldn't fall asleep. So I was pretty exhausted today. Myra and I woke up at 6 and went for a run. We ran about 2 miles. It actually wasn't too bad - except we can pretty much only run on the track here on the Rising Star campus and I think it's about 1/8 of a mile long. So you have to go around it a lot to run a good distance...

After that it was time for bucket showers and getting ready for morning orientation. Our group was going to contraction. So we got our water and we headed to a small colony about 30 minutes away to help move bricks and unload some trucks.





The workers were using the bricks we moved to build a wall....






This lady would mix the mortar and bring it over to the men working by carrying it on her head...





The construction wasn't too bad - but I think we had it easy this time because we had to wait for a truck to arrive to finish what we were doing. It was hot and humid!!! I didn't think it was possible to sweat that much... I'm trying to always being drinking H2O. It's nice because we have filtered water on the Rising Star campus - so we have a tap that we can drink from.


The best part of the day was that we had time to walk around the colony and meet some of the lovely people.












I loved this lady in the picture above. She was just adorable. When we would ask for a picture with her she nodded and just laughed. She probably thought we were so funny for wanting to take a picture with her!




This man saw me come in the room and looked at me and signaled for me to come over and sit next to him. Then he raised his hand up i think to tell me I was so tall.

We also got to go to the art school. People affected by leprosy go to this school and learn to paint. You can also buy their paintings. We didn't have our money with us, but maybe when we go back next week, we will take another look.












I loved being able to visit the colony and just walk around and meet the locals. They were all so kind and so beautiful.

That was my high today - Being able to have time to walk around the colony and meet the people for the first time.
My low - was that I didn't get my sleep last night and was exhausted during construction.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Sirungozhi Rd,,India

No comments:

Post a Comment