Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hard Day's Work

Monday was an exhausting but very rewarding day! We went to Bartala Purim - the largest and most thriving colony near Rising Star to help them install septic tanks so that they can have working toilets in the community. The colony funds their projects mostly through the art school we've visited and other businesses. Rising Star just provides some manual labor to help them move along a lot quicker.





We had to lower these big round cement cylinder things into these holes in the ground and then fill the wholes around the cylinders with dirt. we had these small shovels and shallow bowls to accomplish the task. It was a labor intensive day - that's for sure.







We worked together and got about 4.5 septic tanks ready for whatever the next phase is...

While we were filling dirt into one of the wholes - Davaraj (the man pictured below) came out of his home. I went over to say hello and he started saying something to me. One of the boys with us spoke Tamil so he came over and said that he was calling me his mother. Ha. I'm not sure why he was saying that - but i thought it was sweet.




The whole group of us after a loooong days work!!!!! We were hot, sweaty, tired, and dirty. But it was worth all of that to be able to help and get a lot done!


Bartala Purim has a snake charmer...and every once in a while he'll have some snakes. Sometimes poisonous; sometimes not. Yesterday - he had 2 rat snakes. Not poisonous - but apparently it can hurt if they bite. Anyway, we were allowed to hold them... I was nervous - but figured I had to do it!! I got a little nervous again when i was holding these 2 because they kept moving. I even felt one of the snakes tongue on my arm - that might be a little too close for comfort. :)



On our way home we stopped for some Pirotha!!! It's this amazing flat bread that I guess is only made in this part of india! It's delicious!!! You pay by the Pirotha and you can get a little egg omelet to eat with it which is really good! It was a nice way to end our hard working day!




Monday June 18th -
High: Working hard at construction with everyone.. AND realizing that i've finally learned all the girls names in my house!
Low: That the A/C unit had leaked all over the bottom of my bed the night before and that just wasn't so comfortable! ;)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment