Wednesday, July 20, 2011

If the shoe fits

Yesterday, a few of us went to 3 colonies to measure patients feet so that they can get new shoes. Someone donated money to Rising Star to go towards giving patients with Leprosy new shoes. Shoes are very important for people with Leprosy because it can help prevent wounds which can cause ulcers and protect their feet.

We picked up the cobbler and off we went to our first stop - Bethel Nagar. It was such a wonderful day. We met so many wonderful people in the colonies and had the chance to talk to so many of the patients.






The cobbler didn't need much help measuring. The process consisted of placing their foot on a piece of paper and tracing it. And they they would just talk to them in Tamil - I'm assuming just asking them about their feet.


















We had lots and lots of people come because we went to 2 of the biggest colonies - Bethal Nagar and then Batala Purim. We had to register them in a book, take their picture and then make sure that they stayed in order. India isn't known for following a process so we had to keep an eye on everyone and make sure they didn't skip something or get out of place.







The best part of the day was being able to talk to so many of the people. It is just so much fun to make them smile - whether it's by holding their hand, asking them their name, doing a little dance, or making a silly face. The fact that we are willing to touch them and simply hold their hand means so much to them. They are used to being treated as untouchable. So, for us to be so willing means a lot to them and makes them feel a little more like the wonderful people that they are.







This is Annamma from Bethal Nagar. After I took her picture she sat next to me and I said "Super!" She then pointed at me and said "Name?" I told her my name and she then put her hand on my arm and looked at me and smiled. She was so sweet.







Chellamma is from Batara Purim. After she had her feet measure, she just sat on the ground and I came and sat next to her. She just looked at me with the biggest smile and then I smiled at her and make a few silly faces and she just laughed and laughed!






Myra saw Noorjahan look like she had just kind of fallen when walking between stations so she called me to help her. I helped her up and over to a chair. I saw her sitting waiting to get her feet measured and went over to sit next to her and tried to cheer her up and take a picture with her. But she seemed so sad and I thought she didn't me bothering her.

After she was done with getting her feet measured, I was just standing there when all of a sudden she took my hand and started leading me away. I said, "do you want me to walk you home?" and she seemed to agree with a slight head nod. Her little hut/home was just across the way from the old folks home that we were stationed at. She held my hand all the way to her house. I decided to sit down with her for a minute. She sat down and there were 2 other men laying there. No one really said anything. It smelt so bad, and it was so dirty. Flies everywhere and kittens roaming around. I asked how many cats and one man held up 6 fingers. Noorjahan then put her hand up to her mouth like she was trying to signal to me that she was hungry.

My heart just broke as I sat there in their tiny little hut - with these people that looked so frail and so sad. I've just come to love these people and it breaks my heart to see them live like this. I wished that I could do more for them. It also made me realize just how blessed I am. My struggles are nothing compared to what they face each and every single day.






I noticed Supramani looking at me as I was sitting next to Chellamma. I remembered he was the guy at the old folks home that thought I was so tall when I visited last week! I sat down next to him and he pointed outside and moved his hands and I realized he was trying to tell me - "You were dancing before!" (or something to that affect). So I started to move my hands and shake a little bit as I sat next to him like I was dancing. He laughed and loved it.

The next thing I knew he was singing to me in Tamil! I didn't understand a word - but I loved it! It brightened my day and made me so happy.






I love this picture because when Indian people see a camera, they tend to put on a serious face. I have several pictures before this of Supramani with a serious face - but not this one! We caught a genuine smile on camera and the smile I was seeing before the camera came out! He made my day!






Malleshwary and Beula seemed so happy to have us at their tiny little colony. They live in A.S. Nagar and we only saw 4 people here. We loved the colors of their saris and so we took a bunch of pictures of these beautiful ladies. They also wanted to get a picture with us!

This was one of my favorites because it just shows how happy we both were to be meeting each other.






I had such a wonderful day. Despite the sadness of meeting Noorjahan and seeing her home (which was the low that I shared at dinner that day), I'm just so grateful I had the chance to spend so much time in these colonies with these people.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment