Friday, July 15, 2011

Family Time

Every night from 7:30 - 9pm we go to the kids dorms for what they call "Family Time". It's time to spend with the kids either helping with homework, reading to them, or playing games with them. The children are separated into families of all different ages. There are about 15-20 kids per family and each family has a house mother.




Tamilselvi and Nagalakshmi

I've been assigned to one of the girl "houses" and are they ever full of energy! The first night I went over to Family Time, I thought for sure they were going to drive me nuts. They were jumping all over me. Wanting me to lift them up and all this crazy stuff.


Tamilselvi, Sagayam, Nagalakshmi, and Nagu

And I thought for sure that I would never learn their names! But I'm learning them...one by one. And I'm finding myself loving them. They are really easy to love because I think they love us before we even realize that we love them.



Priya!


2 nights ago, I was talking to one of the girls named Usha for quite some time. She kept trying to play with my phone and wanting to look at my pictures. I showed her a few pictures on it of my family. Then she started drawing a picture in my note pad. Her's is the second one.....

(I think it was either Rose Mary or Gracy that drew the first one)






And then I turned over the pictures and saw this.....




I just felt so much joy in my heart at that moment. This was really the first time I had spent time with Usha since I've been here so I was just really touched by this. They have so much love for us volunteers. I see that every day. It really is a blessing to be around them and to be a recipient of that love.



This is Rose Mary. I love her cinderella-like dress. She is always so happy and runs up to give me big hugs! I just love her spunky attitude!




Nagu, Sagayam, and Tamil Selvi


On my first night going to family time, I met Logeshwari. She was sitting in a room with Usha and Pri, quietly doing their homework. I think sometimes the older girls have a harder time warming up to the volunteers, but I sat down with them and started talking to Logu.


She started teaching me some Tamil and wrote my name for me in Tamil. Every night I spend a little time with her...Asking about her homework, family, goals for the future.

She is such a sweet girl. I can tell she is very smart. She kind of runs a lot of the house. She makes sure the little ones do their chores and helps put the younger ones to bed. She is so mature for a 13-year old and I just love visiting with her each night.






It has been so wonderful getting to know these children. The saddest part is knowing that I'm only here a couple of weeks and will soon have to leave them. Myra and I were talking about how it's too bad they don't have more consistency in their lives. They see lots of volunteers come and go. That has to be hard for them.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Sirungozhi Rd,,India

No comments:

Post a Comment