Monday, July 11, 2011

I'm here!

After a 2+ hour drive from Chennai in a non-A/C car.... we finally arrived at Rising Star!!! We are excited to be here. It's a little overwhelming, but mostly I'm just excited to get to know the kids and meet all the people.

We got settled and were given an orientation and then we went over to meet the kids for play time before dinner. I met these boys and they kept me reallllllllly busy. Always wanting to play something or jump on me.

They are so adorable. One came up to me and asked me to give him a hug. They are the sweetest. I am working hard at trying to remember names. It's not very easy!

After play time we came back to the hostels to eat dinner. We eat on banana leaves - rice and curry. I'm told it's pretty much the same thing every night. Just a different curry. And one day of the week, there is going to be meat in the curry.

After dinner, we go back to the kids dorms for "Family Time". We spent an hour or so with an assigned "Family". Each family is made up of about 20 or so kids ranging from all ages (like 3/4 to about 13/14). And each family has a house mother that watches over the children. During family time we play or help the kids with homework or read to them. They have SO much energy! It's kind of exhausting. But it is so much fun to get to know them.

I'm really happy to be here! I'm exhausted, hot, worn out after only one day. But it's a good feeling. I'm not sure what I'm doing tomorrow yet...either be with the kids, medical team, or doing some kind of construction. We'll be rotating through that. Stay tuned!! :)

For some reason the couple of pics I have aren't loading - so hopefully.. i'll be able to get those up on here too...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Sirungozhi Rd,,India

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you are there and all is well but a little hot!!
    Keep us posted to what is happening we love to hear the news. xx

    ReplyDelete