Thursday, July 21, 2011

Pure Love




Yesterday we went with Medical back to Barthala Purim. I love the days we get to go with medical because I love being in the colonies and being able to meet all the people there. My favorite thing is just to make them smile. Because this is one of the biggest colonies, there were a lot of patients there to see Dr. Susan and we were busy the entire time.

This time I was able to help with washing their feet and cutting their finger nails.







I wasn't so sure how I was going to feel about doing this - but I actually really enjoyed it. They were just so grateful. They would always take my hand afterwards or touch my face and show their gratitude.




















This man that is sitting across from me didn't need his feet washed because he didn't have any ulcers, but he needed his finger nails cut. And he was so grateful. He spoke more english than most and kept saying to me, "God bless you!" They are so humble and so grateful for the help they receive. I feel very grateful that I was able to help them.






One of my favorite patients that I met with that day was this lovely couple. I was very touched by the way her husband was with her every step of the way. He was so sweet! He would help us hold her leg up and make sure I cleaned her feet and ulcers enough. He would help with cutting her nails and make sure I did the short enough.















Her ulcer was so big that I was glad I was wearing a mask when I saw it so that it was easier to hide my reaction. I was so sad for her because the whole bottom of her foot was an ulcer. (*warning - the next picture is of the ulcer)


When she had to go get it cut by Navamari, it hurt and she would cry. My heart just broke for her. Her husband would hold her hand and she put her head on his shoulder. I was so grateful that she had someone at her side to support her.








After washing, I was able to also go help with bandaging a couple of the patients. Navamari would cut off the dead skin and get rid of any debris and then I would wrap the bandage on.








I can't remember all their names anymore, but this lady below was Renuka. She would always laugh when I would smile at her.






And this wonderful man is Durai Sami. I also helped bandage his leg. I just love his beard!








I was so grateful we got to go to a big colony and do so much on one of my last days! These people, their smiles and their wonderful spirits just warm my heart.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment